I go to the mall .During check out the lady at the counter tries to pronounce my name from the credit card.
Wow ! You have a beautiful name.
Thanks! I smile.
I get a call from my interviewer.Before she starts the interview.
You have a pretty name.
Thanks ! I smile.
I take an appointment for doctor visit.The lady compliments
Your name is beautiful.
Thanks ! I smile.
I am amused when these people compliment my name.It feels good that an Indian name appeals to people here.I have been hearing this appreciation ever since I landed in this land.Initially when I heard this,I just smiled to myself.
This is a common name in India..what big deal?
But I got surprised when I hear this all the time.How can so many of these people like my name?
Feels good..
Ok..before you ask me ,let me tell you,my name is
Lavanya.
But Americans have a different version of my name.
They call me
Lavaaanya..(va as va in van)Do I make sense?
When I heard this pronunciation at first,it felt different.The place where I worked had mostly Americans and I got used to being Lavaaanya.
Initially it started like this.When I mention my name to somebody as
I am Lavanya
They ask
sorry.. what?
Lavanya
Can you spell it for me?
L-A-V-A-N-Y-A
oh..Lavaaanya..err..did I pronounce it correctly?
Ya..perfect.
Lavaaanya.
pretty name..
Thanks..hehe.
That's how I started introducing myself.
I am Lavaaanya.
Few days back we shifted to vonage phone service.Since I had a problem with the incoming calls, I had to call customer service and talk to them.I call the vonage toll free number.
This is so and so..How can I help you maam?
I am a vonage customer and I am not able to receive any incoming calls.
Can i have your name and account number please..
I am Lavaaanya..and my account number is 9999999.
Ok..please hold on maam..let me put you to so and so department.
Ok..
Hello maam..I am Priya.Is this err..Lavaaanya?
Does she sound desi..My thoughts wonder
yes..Lavaaanya here.
Please let me look into your records.
She then finds my name and says
Oh..Lavanya...okay.!It is Lavanya.She decides.
For a moment I felt I could read her..
Hmm..Desis in USA fake names!she sure sounded like that.
But I am not like that guys ...I haven't tried to change my name..but it's changed..I don't put on fake accents too.
I wanted to scream.
But who can hear me?
But how on the earth would I know that vonage customer call gets forwarded to India?
Do they?
God knows.
------------------------------
Adios
Lavaaanya:-)


5 comments:
Ammayya, good that I know your name now. Instead of on9thcloud, I can call you Lavanya or should it be Lavaaanya? :-D.
Oof tell me about Americans trying to pronounce Indian names!! Once me and Sri went camping with a few Americans. When we had introductions, I told them my name was Deepthi. "What?", "Can you repeat that again?" were a few things I heard commonly. I tried telling them its "Dee" as in "Thee", then a "p" and "thi" as in "Thin", but to no go!! Later I realized that it was going nowhere and asked them to simply call me "Dip tea" :-D.
I read about your camping experience previously.And Dip tea is cute...lol!And Lavanya is fine okay?:-)
Btw Did I tell you that you have a good user pic..Your picture dragged me to your blog:-)
Thanks :). Thats actually my Sent-to-guys-for-marriage-purposes-photo :-D. After I found my Sri, didn't find any other useful purpose for it :-p.
we share a common problem. My name is Soujanya and over period of time it became Sujaanya :) I also get compliments about my name.
Enjoy
Soujanya
LOLz. true the hardships desis have to face here. Tats why I had to cut short my name instead of hearing weird pronunciations.!!!
Post a Comment