I just called home and my mom said "Chinni...I have something for you."I was surprised and scared for a moment but didn't find more as my mom didn't give me time for other emotions.She broke the news that my grandfather passed away on tuesday.I was shocked and tears clogged my vision..I was blank for a moment.Without my knowledge thoughts were flowing.
I am surprised as I ask myself " Will I miss him?""Was I close enough to him to miss him?"He is my father's father.Unlike many grandchildren I didn't spend a lot of with him.He had been living with us till I was 9 years old in Tanuku.As I recollect now,he was a healthy man and did all his work himself.I remember that he liked to wash his own clothes and never let maid touch his.He cut papayas and offered them to my sister and me.I remember tobacco powder he used to smell often.I remember how I complained that the papaya pieces smell like tobacco....and he would wash them to offer me...I remember him reading stories form chandamama.I remember he is the one who first taught me to read chandamama stories by myself.I remember his rocking chair and his bed he used to make himself.I remember his friends and their families he used to take me every evening.I remember how he walked...It took him almost an half an hour for a very small road and I used to run fast and wait for him to join him.I remember particularly one day..I would have been 7 years old..when my grand father told us that he spotted a thief at midnight near our patio..He used to sleep oustside during summer for the fresh air and as soon as he saw th thief he shouted my dad's name and thief ran away.The story thrilled me at that tender age and I recollect sharing that with my classmates then.
We moved to Chennai shortly due to my dad's transfer..where he didn't want join us.Though my dad tried to convince him to join us..he stayed for few months and returned to live with my dad's brother in rural Andhra.I used to see him once in awhile during summer holidays..but the studies alwayss kept me busy to visit him often."How genuine is that?" Now I wonder!I rememeber how particularly he was fond of my sister.He used to tell me that my grandmother likes me and he likes my sister.I used to smile and let away.
He was 93 when he passed away peacefully in the rocking chair.I am glad I was able to spend few days with him in Hyderabad in my last trip.I remember him asking us to return to India for good.I told him that eventually we would do that.It was very hard to converse with him as he had totally become hearing impaired and had to communicate in sign language.Whenever he saw me he kept insisting that I join my folks back in India soon..and finally he asked me how much does Kiran make in a month.I found it tough to answer in Indian rupees..I would have skipped the answer for anybody..but It was my grandfather.I turned to my mom..she asked me to tell a figure and I told him 1 lakh rupees.It just came out of my mouth.He was very surprised and exclaimed "aaaaa...laksha rupayala..atanu chaala goppavadu anna maata."Couldn't help smiling.He was thin ,small frame and hardly 5.4".He looked so cute as he said that.No wonder people become kids as they grow old.
I can't digest the fact I will no longer be able to see him again.I definitely miss him.May his soul rest in peace !
(comment on this)
Thursday, August 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment