Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The walk

Walking in our neighourhood is one beautiful feeling. Ours is a large community with spacious pavements convenient for walking. If I find any time in the evening, I make sure I do the best workout oustside.

I often spot couples holding hands and enjoying the presence of each other.
I spot people walking with dogs, bicyclists, moms with strollers and joggers. But amongst all these people, I never fail to miss this elderly man of early 60's who walks, walks and walks. I see him on the opposite side of road, sometimes across the street. I find him in the mornings and evenings.I find him even when it rains. I would admire his determination to keep fit and healthy. I have noticed that he walks fast, really fast.

So today I finish my chores, feed kids and sneak out for walk.it was a beautiful evening with sun setting and nice weather. My usual goal is 5k within 45 minutes. I was trying hard to complete this in 40 minutes and started to walk above my comfort zone. That's when I hear foot steps behind me and since I have been in a competant mood I decide to increase my pace just to keep up with the steps behind me. And ofcourse I was beaten to this "same man" but this time he smiled at me.

He said "I see you are trying.Come walk behind me."

I smiled and decided to walk behind him. I felt delighted to do so. It felt nice to actually follow someones's foot steps literally.So my work out all of a sudden seemed very interesting to me.

All good things come to an end right? This too has to, but I wished it would have lasted a little more.

I walked, walked, walked until my walk turned to jog.

I jogged, jogged, jogged until my jog turned to run.

I ran,ran, ran until I couldn't any further.

This man was just walking..

I thought,

He should have said

"Come run behind me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing here.. so did you meet him subsequent days on your walks? don't stop here...I want a sequel :)