Saturday, January 22, 2011

Weight loss series

Yes! I am going to update my journey towards weight loss. It has been a while since I've the ticker on my blog yet I did not lose a pound!

Atleast talking about this might motivate me do something about this.
To start with,I ve always been in healthy weight all way long from my childhood, teens. It was in 2003 in US after marriage that I was diagnosed with Hypo- thyroid and was put under medication .My thyroid when diagnosed was way low and doctor was quite surprised when he saw my levels and re-ordered the test. He mentioned he has never seen such low thyroid in his career. So I assumed that I have had this from years before but just did not know. But the funny thing is I've started gaining weight only after medication.Ofcourse it took me few months to realise the problem and I did started to work out and watch my diet. It is definitely difficult for a person with thyroid issues to keep weight under control. I read somewhere that such person has to work hard atleast twice as normal one to achieve goals. But I did it and was glad I could keep it.

Then I delivered my daughter in 2008. I had a c-section and lost all my pre pregnancy weight with little effort. That was when I started missing some pills and my thyroid got messy.Co-incidentally I came to know that I was pregnant with my son.So I was put on double doasge of the medication and my pregnancy went fine. I delivered my boy in 2010 and then my struggle started.

Within few days of my c-section, I stated to break down in hives all over.They were so bad that my face, my whole body used to swell up. My boy was not even a week old and I had to run to emergency where they said I'm getting hyper- thyroidic. So i stopped my medication and followed up with pcp. I was put on anthisthamines for my hives and sent home. Still everyday I had hives which literally made my life miserable. All this continued for 3 months when all of sudden I was sitting in a couch and felt something was wrong. What happened? well..actually nothing! Yes, that is what I told my husband. I could not express what was happening coz I did not know what!I had some queasy feeling in my stomach, felt I could not breathe, wanted to scream, cry and what not! I freaked out. I left the kids with my husband and had a walk outside and felt better after 1-2 hrs. This continued days, weeks, months and I just did not know what to expect.

I followed up with allergist shortly to see if hives could have some cure and they found that I have some thyroid antibodies attacking my system.

So I finally found some answers.The feeling I described above was related to a panic attack which is common with the condition(Hashimitos) I was having.So I followed up with endo who put me on thyroid medication (though my thyroid was not hypo)and I started feeling better.I am still not on right dosage and am working with the doctor.But I'm glad that I found some answers.

Whatever, amidst all these issues, with a very little help, with Kiran's change of jobs, with a demanding toddler and an infant , I just could not concentrate on my weight management.One fine day I realise that I'm atleast 25 pounds over weight and need to do something about this.

So here I am!

The past year has been quite eventful but for sure made me spiritually strong.

Yes! 2010 has brought me close to spirituality and am grateful to have bonded in this relationship with Almighty.

2 comments:

Deeps said...

Oh God, I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal. Alteast you got some answers finally, I'm glad for that. Not knowing is even more worrisome. Glad you are all better now and all the best in your weight-losing venture. Hope to get inspired from you and start my own weight loss program once I'm done with you know what ;-) :-D.

Sweet Nothings said...

Thanks for your thoughts Deeps. You are a person with strong will..am sure you will be able to pull it off with determination:-)